– Current activities –
Our research focuses on marine ecological questions relevant to conservation and largely explores the influence of human activities on marine ecosystems.
Key questions our research explores include:
- How do pelagic sharks and fishes respond to the establishment of large marine reserves?
- What roles do apex predators play in tropical marine ecosystems?
- How is climate variability manifested in fish growth and what does this mean for warming oceans?
- How are sharks and fishes distributed on biogeographical scales and in relation to habitat?
- What are the socioeconomic drivers of illegal fishing?
These questions are addressed using a range of techniques included BRUVS, telemetry, biomarkers and predictive modelling.